Monday, February 27, 2012

The Start of Something Big

     How do you objectively examine the subjectivity of an issue such as disability? Moreover, how do we as a society classify what is “normal”? These are questions that only recently I have begun to ask myself because I live with a disability. It is the goal of this paper to share with non-disabled people the stories of individuals with disabilities and to demonstrate how the world reacts to us. But this is just the tip of the iceberg, as I have begun to learn, and the issue of being disabled goes way beyond the inner struggle one has within themselves in regards to place, identity, and “feeling productive” in a world where we are segregated and judged as “inferior”.

     To understand why it is we are considered “abnormal” one would have to look back in history and understand the development of societies along with social constructs. In doing this, we will look at some language and idioms that are present in today’s world and see how it affects those with disabilities. 

     During the research phase of this project I conducted several interviews with disabled people, each one having a distinctly different disability, and posted several surveys online in order to gauge the societal viewpoint. In order to protect the families who have participated I am changing their names, and those who participated in the survey were never asked for any information other than general attitudes and behaviors towards persons with disabilities. A copy of the survey is at the end of this research paper.

     Another aspect of disabilities I will be looking at is imagery. In a world of movies, blogs and social media I wanted to take a look at how we portray ourselves and how Hollywood sees us. We’ll examine a few historical instances where persons with disabilities were not just on display at freak shows and circuses but how the medical establishment placed them into the spotlight themselves. This is in effort to demonstrate how we have been viewed, historically and currently, and how some of the language used to describe us came to be.

   Finally, I will wrap this all up in the story of my life. I will reveal harsh truths, discrimination, demeaning attitudes, homelessness, and the constant struggle I have had with my place in society. It will be harsh, raw and uncomfortable for some, but for others they will read a similar life and finally know that someone else has walked in their shoes. This is an exploration into the world of disabilities and what we have had to deal with, not an exposé on society but an insight into our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment