In doing this project I wanted to gain an insight into the world of disabilities through modern eyes. A realization I had, as I began this, was how much my views had been slanted due to my own experiences and how the had caused me to be at odds with so much around me. In doing an interview this morning, of a mother who has a son with several disabilities, I began to see how the world has truly changed. Though not perfect, society has at least gotten to a point to where children today do not seem as confronted by ignorance as much as we did when we were younger.
I can remember hearing stories, when I was younger, at how disabled people were placed into attics or basements and the families did what they could behind closed doors. I also learned of policies that have been negative towards those of us with disabilities - like sterilization laws - and how society had dealt with them in the past. During this interview I was struck with an overwhelming sense of hope. The fact that the young man is able to construct positive experiences from his primary education, and the faculty around him, says a lot to how far we as a society have come.
During the interview questions rose, after others being answered, that have me wondering at how we can best accommodate those with developmental disabilities and how we can help socialize them into mainstream society. Because disabilities vary in degree, it is not always the same methods that help all situations, and the method to enabling them may need to be tweaked upon each individual case. It is a very interesting notion.
I keep going back to the discussion I had this morning with this well-adapted mother who has had her own share of struggles. To see how she has endured a test of inner strength, while providing her son with opportunities to succeed, shows me how much we have changed and how much some people will go out of their way in order to provide a better place for their children, enabled or disabled. But along with that it made me think of what factors may have gone into her being able to do what she has done.
Financial and location seem to be some of the bigger issues at hand here. The mother I spoke to this morning had several advantages that others may not possess, such as military facilities and professionals. I can say also from my own experiences and coming from a military family, that these services are invaluable. The cutting edge technologies and techniques often employed on the battlefield come home and create opportunities for those affected by a physical, or emotional, disability. The added benefit that service members have, healthcare and mental health professionals, can help someone better adapt to adverse situations.
Several of my reconstructive surgeries were done by military doctors who were able to create working hands versus pretty hands. Of course these advancements come from the battle wounds of soldiers on the field, they become real world solutions once the methods become perfected and mainstreamed. But not every person, or family, has access to these types of services or professionals and that can become an overwhelming experience for them. For some families the stress of the financial burden can often override any progress made.
In closing our interview, a shared sentiment was how studies about disabled people and social integration, instead of segregation, could impact any disability positively. When a community works together, whole mountains can be moved - especially ones made of ignorance and judgment.
No comments:
Post a Comment