Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Even After So Long

I spent today reading the first few chapters of Claiming Disability by Simi Linton and I have to say that I am sitting beside myself. To read the words that so described my own experiences, within my world, shared by others was both comforting and reassuring. I myself am unable to articulate it at this time, and although I have "overcome" my disability, it is still a chain around my neck - even if the perception is internalized.

But I have to say that Linton hits the mark. I sat back on a few points and reflected very heavily upon what I read, along with the emotional reactions, realizing for the first time in 15 years there really were others who could identify with my experiences. It is very healing.

As I put the book down for the night I was left with very few questions and a deep sense of self. This is like when I was in the Ireland Program and I found my people, but I walked away with even more questions wanting to know who I was, as well as where my family came from. In finding and learning about the different cultures through various programs I still did not have a sense of self. I knew what I identified with - what music, what art style and so on - but I struggled with my "place" in society, with definitions and descriptors.

As hard as it is to deal with the internalized emotion, I am becoming, and in becoming I will be me.

1 comment: